top of page

A little piece of history...

A temporary cathedral, erected to replace the Napier cathedral damaged in the 3 February 1931 Hawke's Bay earthquake, was designed by architects Finch and Westerholm to hold up to 400 people, and was built in heart rimu.


The temporary cathedral was consecrated on the 18th October 1932 and served until 1960 when it was purchased by the Presbyterian Church and transported to Wycliffe Street, Napier and became St Stephen's Church.


Today it still remains but is now used by the Napier Family Centre.



90 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page